[ibis-macro] Re: IBIS-AMI

  • From: Mike Steinberger <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 08:58:12 -0500

Huang-

The short version to Walter's answer is that the IBIS AMI model maker must incorporate the effects of Process/Temperature/Voltage (PVT) into their model and then expose PVT as one or more input parameters to the model. For example, SiSoft has delivered models that had PVT as an explicit input parameter.

This is one of a number of areas in which the IBIS AMI specification makes it possible to write a good model, but does not define what a good model is, much less force model makers to write good models. In effect, we chose to depend on system developers such as yourself to let us know what you need to see in a model in order to consider it to be acceptable. What you've in effect said is that you expect a proper model to include the effects of PVT, and that's a perfectly reasonable expectation that any competent model maker should be able to satisfy.

I can offer a statement of what I believe constitutes a high quality IBIS AMI model package, and I will if you wish. What's really important, however, is for system developers to explicitly state their expectations. (Golden Rule of Business: He who has the gold makes the rules.)

Hope this helps.
Mike S.

Walter Katz wrote:

Huang,

IBIS-AMI models are controlled by parameters that have various solution space capabilities. These solution space capabilities are used to control the configuration of the Tx/Rx model (e.g. Tap coefficients, and peaking filter selection). The solution space of a parameter is controlled by its “Format”. “Format” can be:

    * A single Value
    * A Range
    * A range with a specific number of Steps
    * A range with a specific Increment
    * A List of values
    * A Table
    * A Gaussian distribution
    * A Dual-Dirac distribution
    * A DjRj distribution
    * A Corner

This is described in page three of BIRD 104.1

Regards,

Signal Integrity Software, Inc.

(303) 449-2308