[ibis-macro] Question on seeting the EMD direction

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:07:58 -0700

Hello everyone,

In our IBIS-ATM meeting yesterday, we had a discussion on the
types of SPICE (or SPICE-like) circuit elements we would like
to see included in the future IBIS interconnect modeling "language".
The conversation was prompted by Walter's presentation slides,
which can be found on our web site:

http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/macromodel_wip/archive/20080617/walterkatz/
EMD%20Differential%20Transmission%20Line%20Model/SiSoft_EMD_Models_08061
7.pdf

To sum up the discussion in a few words, Walter proposed a
"standard SPICE" language which could be converted to anyone's
SPICE variant easily.  (The elements we discussed are listed
on slide #2 in the above presentation).  To make this possible
and keep the language simple, Walter proposed that this "standard
SPICE" should have the assumption that every element is LTI
(linear and time invariant) which supposed to be sufficient
for all interconnect models, such as packages, connectors,
cables, and PCB traces.

I would like to solicit comments and feedback on this from
everyone, especially our interconnect experts, because I want
to avoid history to repeat itself.  (We spent years to develop
*-AMS, ICM, Macro Modeling Library yet they are barely used
for various reasons).

Please send us your comments on this topic so we could develop
something that is be useful and welcomed by the SI/PI engineering
community.