[ibis-macro] Re: An AMI Overview

  • From: Mike Steinberger <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kumarchi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:44:26 -0500

Guys-

Although what you say sounds plausible at first glance, I don't think you've got it quite right. If one uses the same model in two different flows, would there be any reason to expect the same result? I think not. After all, the flows were different. I think it's reasonable to expect the user to know that.

With respect, I suggest that in whatever you propose, you avoid restrictions that would eliminate options which would otherwise be valuable in specific practical applications.

Mike S.

C. Kumar wrote:
danil:
I agree with you. Two different results coming form the same model will lead to real confusion.

following walter's suggestion I am putting together what i hope is a simpler flow. The idea is to prevent getting two different results for the same model

    From: Danil Kirsanov <dkirsanov@xxxxxxxxxx>
    To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 6:59 PM

    Dear colleagues,

    I would like to clarify one basic principle of AMI modeling,
    hoping that all of us agree with it.

    I believe that the model writer should never do a double-counting:
    if he modified the channel impulse response in Init() to model
    some effect, he should not model this effect in Getwave(). So he
    cannot put the “true” model in GetWave() and it’s linear
    approximation in Init(). If both types of behavior are expected,
    there should be two models (or some internal flag that changes the
    behavior of the model).

    If this assumption is true, statistical (linear) simulator always
    works with Init() function of the model, while pattern-dependent
    (non-linear) simulator works with both Init() and GetWave() and I
    do not see any necessity for Get_Wave_Exists flag.

    Best,

    Danil