[huskerlug] Re: More MS stuff

  • From: bbrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 09:06:43 -0500

Just a point here:

You can't "copyright" a format.  You can patent it, maybe, but it would be
difficult.  The most MS can do is keep changing it to make it harder to
reverse engineer as it's not an open standard format.

Bill

                    James Worrest

                    <jworrest@xxxxxxxxx>       To:     huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    Sent by:                   cc:

                    huskerlug-bounce@fre       Subject:     [huskerlug] Re:
More MS stuff
                    elists.org

                    05/09/02 08:01 AM

                    Please respond to

                    huskerlug

     Not being a lawyer, this is only a guess, but I don't believe they
have
a copyright on the format of their MSword documents.  I think ADOBE may
have
more of a case for their PDF format, which few programs seem to reproduce.
As an aside I wonder if there is a Linux program that would do this?
     Anyway, Mr. Gates on a Computer Chronicles program of  a few years
back, statted he wanted to make all Microsoft programs rentable and not
have
individuals
own them.  He still hasn't reached that goal, but anything his company can
put a fee upon, I'm sure he will do it.  This has been an interesting
discussion from a taxpayer's point of view. I hope some of you can get a
stop
to the charges placed on Linux machines.  ---Jim