[hashcash] Re: Mutt and hashcash

  • From: Ben Laurie <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 09:36:59 +0000

Kyle Hasselbacher wrote:

> I wrote a stand-in for sendmail that I can call from Mutt to add hashcash
> to my outgoing mail.  It does a bit more than just that, though.
>
> The computer I use for email is a modest 400MHz.  Computing 26 bits of
> hashcash (my chosen default) takes nearly ten minutes.
>
> Given that, my filter is actually two programs.  One acts like sendmail for
> Mutt and merely writes Mutt's message to a queue.  The other program is a
> daemon that watches that queue and does the work of adding hashcash before
> sending it to the real sendmail.
>
> I just started doing this last week, and I haven't yet run out of things I
> want to change about these two, but they already work fairly well for me.
> Sending from Mutt is quick, but the mail might not actually go out for a
> while.
>
> Details (and code) available on request.

Hmmm. A similar mechanism that would work well would be an SMTP server
for outgoing email and a procmail thingy for incoming. I have code for
an SMTP proxy lying around somewhere. I guess I should dig it out. This
is too simple - why haven't I thought of it before?

BTW, how about making these lists reply-to the list? (No, I'm not
interested in having the standard argument - if Adam doesn't want to do
it, that's fine by me).

Cheers,

Ben.