[hashcash] Re: Mutt and hashcash

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:23:05 -0500

Hubert Chan wrote:

> Hmm.  I've always thought that the proper thing to do is to generate the
> hashcash token while the user is writing the message.  Since most
> messages take more than a few seconds to write, then sending the email
> would be instantaneous, once the user tells the MUA to send.  Is that
> possible?  For any MUA -- not just mutt?  (I use gnus.)  (Yes, I know
> that the user can edit the To: header at any time, but starting the
> token generation as early as possible seems to be the best thing.)

if you can control the MUA, and if you are in the habit of entering the
e-mail address ahead of time, yes, it makes a whole lot sense and is a
value add for any e-mail client developer.  but if you need to operate
from the outside or build one solution that works for most clients, then
  in background is the way to go.

personally, I'm not a big fan of putting in the address first because I
use speech recognition and, on more than one occasion, have had a
misrecognition trigger sending a message.  fortunately, they were not
drafts that were to be deleted before sending.  in any case, once burned
forever cautious.

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  Incorrect endings, words, and case is
closer than it appears