[haiku] Re: trouble installing R1A2

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 16:27:02 -0400

Stephan Assmus wrote:
On 2010-05-18 at 04:26:19 [+0200], Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have installed Alpha2 on four computers from a Live CD, and had no
problem installing it on two of the computers;  whereas the installation
on the other two computers failed on file libwebcore.so.  Also, running
Haiku from the Live CD caused similar results when trying to run
WebPositive.  That is, WebPositive loaded and ran okay on the two
computers where the installation succeeded, and failed to load on the
other two computers.  Thus, I think the CD is okay, but there might be a
problem with the code that reads files from the CD when using certain
hardware.

What differences are between those four computers? For example, how much RAM does each one have, and is the ATA driver or the SATA driver used? You can tell from the device path in DriveSetup.

The two computers where the install succeeded are:

IBM ThinkPad T22, 900 Mhz Pentium II, 128 MB RAM. Devices app states that "Mass storage controller" is: Intel 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE

GigaByte 7VT600-RZ motherboard, 2 GHz AMD Sempron, 1 GB RAM. Devices app states that "Mass storage controller" is: VIA VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC bus. Actual chip is VT8235.

The two computers where the install failed are:

IBM ThinkPad A22p, 1 GHz Pentium III, 256 MB RAM. Devices app states that "Mass storage controller" is: Intel 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE

6BX/VIA/ZX81 motherboard, 866 MHz Pentium III, 256 MB RAM. Devices app states that "Mass storage controller" is: VIA VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC bus. Actual chip is VT82C596B.

For all four computers, DriveSetup indicates that the ATA driver was used for the hard disk, and the ATAPI driver for the CD/DVD drive.

If I boot from the Live CD on one of the computers where the
installation failed and try to copy libwebcore.so to a USB flash drive,
the copy fails after about 19 MB are copied.  The error message is
"Error copying file libwebcore.so;  General system error".

On both computers where the install failed, the copy of libwebcore.so was always 19,922,944 (0x1300000) bytes in length; it always failed at the same location in the file.

I did check the checksum of the Alpha2 zip file that I downloaded, but I
have not checksummed the CD.

Can you checksum it on the computer that fails?

How do you checksum a CD?

-- Gerald