[openbeos] Re: question about dos filesystem and mime types

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 19:20:20 +0200 CEST

"Jérôme Duval" <korli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry if it was already asked ...
>
> I'm wondering why we bother supporting reading "BEOS:TYPE" attribute
> for files located on a dos file system. Shouldn't it be the job of
> the
> registrar/mime registry anyway ?

The problem is that files without such attribute are handled as generic
files; the registrar only sets this attribute after having sniffed the
file, and Tracker (ie. the roster on Launch()) can then work with it.
I'm not sure how we could do this differently, even though it looks
desirable.

Bye,
   Axel.