[openbeos] Re: question about dos filesystem and mime types

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 19:57:52 +0200 CEST

"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> UI-wise, in the subtype, lefthand side of FileTypes, how
> about a drop-down or listview of possible aliases, and a
> checkbox named, e.g. "Change on encounter", for the Registrar,
> retyping files with official mimetypes, when possible, if desirable.

I wouldn't like making FileTypes even more complicated, but the aliases
would need to find their way in there, definitely. I don't have a good
idea yet on where to place that info, though.

> Another idea I've been nurturing is having an alternative,
> virtual grouping of mimetypes, where each mimetype can
> be assigned to one or more virtual type groups: Documents,
> Images, Executables, and whatever, regardless of the actual
> supertype. Especially the application/* supertype is getting
> increasingly crowded. I'm not sure how to best present this in the
> UI of FileTypes, but I suppose a simple mode switch in the menu
> for either classic two-level mime or virtual grouping could work.

It might be a good idea "against" the overuse of the application type.
However, it really is only needed for searching anyway. And there, I
wouldn't exactly like my system to return videos when I searched for
music because they both use the OGG file format. We should try to make
the system more capable than this - and I'm afraid the answer to this
cannot be a MIME type only typing system.

Bye,
   Axel.