[openbeos] Re: question about 64-bit processors

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:27:25 +0200 CEST

André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Why don't you do it like the unix socket structure, whose pointer
> field is declared as an 8-char (hopefully 8-bit wide) array that must
> be cast to the correct pointer type in the target architecture? This
> allows for easy portability between wider/narrower architectures.
>
> Of course, this only applies to R2 and beyond, since it will affect
> every single structure in BeOS =P

Nah, that wouldn't so nice; it would be a major pain in the ass to work
with that since every public system structure and class is impacted. I
would think that the only real option we have is Ingo's suggestion.

> I'd suggest that should those structures should be refactore, it
> might
> be wiser to have the reserved chunks declared *before* the pointer
> (i.e., the 8-byte array), so further extensions (128-256bit
> architectures!!) won't be such a burden to make.

Oh, I doubt that these will ever be widely adopted in my lifetime :-)
(famous last words)

Bye,
   Axel.