[openbeos] Re: question about 64-bit processors

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:16:32 -0300

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:58:28 +0200, Ingo Weinhold
<bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Exactly. The PPC Haiku is not intended to be binary compatible with BeOS R5.

I've heard this one before. And I'm still not convinced that it's not worth it.

> > Current R5 PPC can
> > load most binaries from as far as DR1 (!),

I should have said PR1. Sorry.

> PEF BTW, and AFAIK there's documentation to be found somewhere on the Apple
> site.

Oops. PEF. Sorry.

Joy!ppc :)

I'll take this one as an assertment that it could be done if there's
enough motivation.

> I simply don't believe it's worth it and I even have an old PPC machine
> myself.

I have 2 of these myself, and I intend to buy more PPC hardware when
I'm financially able to. Still, I didn't mean this only as in a way to
keep legacy PPC machines running BeOS-alikes; I meant it as in
enabling next-generation PPC hardware to run countless man-years of
great BePPC software made thoughout the lifespan of Be, Inc.

--
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time
raising money"