[openbeos] Re: question about 64-bit processors

  • From: Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:14:38 +0000

Hi,

Optik-White wrote:
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:56:38 +0200, Marco Awater <theo.awater@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have an AMD64 system and wouldn't mind testing some stuff when it's done,
but I have an SATA hard drive and have no idea how to get BeOS to run on
this current box (runs fine on my athlon 700). I think the problem is that
my southbridge isn't supported (have an K8T800 SE Deluxe mobo). If someone
knows a solution I wouldn't mind testing stuff for Haiku.

Is it the fact that the South Bridge isn't supported, or that the
(possibly) Silicon Image SATA controller isn't supported?  I ask only
because I have a MB based on the nForce 250 which supports SATA
natively and Zeta can see my SATA drives with no problems(same goes
for XP where it requires the installation of drivers before
recognizing non-natively supported SATA drives).  So if you want to
install Zeta or any other variant of BeOS then you will most likely
need to acquire drivers or upgrade to a MB with a chipset that
supports SATA natively and to the best of my knowledge, only Intel and
Nvidia have chipsets that support SATA natively and unfortunately not
all MB manufacturers take full advantage of the 4 native drive support
offered by the nForce3 250 so be forewarned.

To my knowledge SATA is backward compatible with ATA100/133 so I don't see why BeOS R5 shouldn't work on a system with a SATA drive.

I have a Abit IC7 MB, with Intel's 875P chipset and BeOS 5.0.3 never complained. (I have only one drive: a SATA drive)

Regards, Adi.