[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V6 #253

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 23:56:49 +0100 (MET)

"Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Now of course using a BEntry::MoveToTrash() for 10 entries you
> > would
> > need to call it 10 times, sending 10 messages to Tracker, creating
> > 10
> > tasks.

BEntry::MoveToTrash() would not use the Tracker at all, and wouldn't
send any notifications either. It would just work as MoveTo() does,
with the exception of a fixed (depending on the volume the file is on)
target.
Tracker could just call it in the same way as it does MoveTo() -
however, if it turns out to be a performance issue, we can still do it
differently.
Anyway, you usually don't move 10000 files into the trash - if you do,
they are most likely part of only a few directories, and you only have
to move those into the trash, anyway.

> > Granted, most apps do it one at a time (BeMail).
> On that note, I just checked the BeMail source and it does the EXACT
> SAME THING I did in ShowImage, except it hard-codes the constants:
[...]
> So why did I get so much flak for doing it this way? Grrr. OK, I'm
> not
> that upset, but it just goes to show we do need to solve this
> problem.
> The BeMail trashing has the same issues as the ShowImage one.

If you had silently committed this, nobody would have ever noticed ;-)
However, this way, we have the opportunity to fix both apps!

Bye,
   Axel.