[haiku] Re: is possible make a hibryd beos haiko os?

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 21:30:44 +0100 CET

"Skar Cat" <skarmiglione.sk4r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> the hibrid is for have a stable release of
> beos/haiku while come the true haiku os
> maybe for novate who want try haiku/beos or
> something like this, friends of me want try
> but i can not recomend the actual haiku os
> really...but beos can be recommended if have
> the new things what haiku have now...is just
> for educational use :).

I wish it was possible to give you what you ask
for, but I think it's impossible. You can -at most-
get BeOS + a few superficial trivial changes here
and there. Not worth it, IMO. You wouldn't even
get the vector icons.

Most of the interesting Haiku improvements can
not be added on top of BeOS (without replacing
pretty much everything), especially changes to
the kernel, the app_server and the libraries.

You can't get Haiku + some stability from BeOS.

You may be able to fit a Volvo 740 engine in a
Nissan Micra, but you can't take the "safety"
(the abstract quality of safety)
out of the 740 and put it into the Micra.
They have different internal structure.
(And as a result, one is safer than the other.)

Stability is not the result of a single part or
component. (But the kernel is of course the most
important component.) All parts of the system
must be designed well and reasonably bug-free,
for the result to be stable. First and foremost
the parts must fit togheter.

The Haiku kernel was designed to be similar enough
to the BeOS kernel, but it's not a drop-in replacement.
They're not interchangable. This means you can't run
BeOS on top of the Haiku kernel, and you can't run
Haiku on top of the BeOS kernel.

(I don't know if the Haiku app_server is similar
enough to the BeOS app_server for them to be fully
interchangeable, but I doubt it. While the Haiku devs
have uncovered a lot of how BeOS's various parts
communicate with each other, some blind spots are
likely to remain, and that's where drop-in replacements
would fail. If I've made any incorrect assumptions here,
please do correct me!)

/Jonas.