[haiku] Re: is possible make a hibryd beos haiko os?

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 19:53:43 +0100 CET

"Skar Cat" <skarmiglione.sk4r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> is possible make a hibryd beos haiko os? with
> the stability of beos and new tecnologies of
> haiku os

The short answer is no.

Haiku is backwards-compatible with BeOS at the
application level. This means you can run much
software, on Haiku, which was originally created
for BeOS.

It does not mean that all parts of BeOS and Haiku
are look & work alikes at every level or that they
could be mixed.

Some Haiku parts were possible to use as drop-in
replacements to BeOS parts. Some might still, but
don't count on it. I think that development-phase
is over.

Unless you're a developer with reverse-engineering
skills, the core of the BeOS kernel is not a cake
you can split/dissasemble/improve.

My advice is for you to wait, or learn to live with
the unstability until it improves. You might want
to do frequent backups, keep multiple installations
and 'sync' often. Perhaps using Haiku in a virtal
machine like VMware for now, unless you accept the
risk.

/Jonas.