[openbeos] Re: inconsistency?

  • From: Adi Oanca <e2joseph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:05:13 +0300

[Please do not forget what this thread is about. Thanks.]

Jonas,

Jonas Sundström wrote:
Adi Oanca <e2joseph@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(Except those "palette" windows which hide all the time.
Now -those- are annoying.)

What do you have with those.

They just don't feel right. They disappear and reappear in a rather confusing way when moving between multiple open document windows by Right-clicking the window tab of the front-most window. This often means some other app's window gets focus, which makes the palettes disappear only to reappear when I click the other document window to give it focus. And the result is flicker.

Would you have preferred to have them minimized/closed one by one? I think floating windows' behavior(and look) is very inspired - they appear only when needed - no screen space is lost when not needed anymore.

[How would it be for your screen be filled with
lots of windows needed by only one normal window?]

Honestly, I'm not against floaters/palettes/toolpads in general. I don't recall but I'm guessing MacOS (< X ?) has a better palette window user experience. After all, Photoshop, etc, did evolve on the Mac.

Could you tell me what was/is better? Who knows, maybe they're right...

I'm absolutely not advocating an MDI interface, or
some cramped visual studio-like widget frenzy.

MDI is not so bad, IMHO. Apparently many people think it's crap.

Adi.