[openbeos] Re: inconsistency?

  • From: Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:09:13 +0300

Scott MacMaster wrote:

I find it very confusing how in any system at the moment you can position a modal window so you can see the whole original window, and the original window (now blocked) looks exactly the same as it did before you opened the modal one. I think some visual way of enforcing that the main window is not currently accessible and to force the user to respond to the modal dialog would be a very good addition from a usability perspective.

Hey, I know how to eliminate this problem. Eliminate modal windows.

Yeah, but that is not a pretty good idea. If you can bring us some serious arguments...

Here's a new situation/question for you guys:
you have: n NORMAL windows, and 3 MODAL SUBSET ones added to n-th window's subset.
-> select window n => window order: 1-st, ..., n-th, ms1, ms2, ms3
-> select window n-1 => 1-st, ..., n-th, ms1, ms2, ms3, (n-1)-th
*** -> select ms2 => 1-st, ..., n-th, ms1, (n-1)-th, ms2, ms3.
- this is the order that we have agreed on.
??? Wouldn't be better to bring the NORMAL window (n-th) to which this subset modal belongs to, in front and then put all 3 modal subset windows in front of it?
This way if the user selects a modal subset window, he should be presented with the situation(environment)((window n)) that the modal window runs in.
=> 1-st, ..., (n-1)-th, n-th, ms1, ms2, ms3

NOTE1: this situation is for modal subset windows only. They know the last
normal window they belong to.

MOTE2: IMHO, the same should *not* happen with modal app windows. They "belong" to more than just one normal window and you can't decide which one of them is needed the most.

Your opinions please... :-)

Thank you,
Adi.