[openbeos] Re: inconsistency?

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:20:01 +0200

>> Modal app is only visible if the app it belongs to is active (by selecting
>> one of its visible windows).
>> Modal subset is only visible if you select the subset's main window.
>
> What you say here resembles floating windows behavior.
> The thing is that modal windows should (IMHO) always stay visible
> because they denote an action that should be completed ASAP. Also, a
> good thing is that modal windows do not appear in the Deskbar.

Right, my bad. :)

> Right. But, there is a catch. This is how I want it to be done. I bet
> you want the same, just that you haven't written all that you thought
> of. :-)

Of course. ;)

> setup: no modal app. 6 modal subset windows. 2 normal ones. each normal
> window has 3 modal subset windows added to its subset.
>
> you can do *only* this:
> *) select main window -> that window comes in front *and* the 3 modal
> subset windows pop in front of it. (repeat with the other window if you
> like)
> *) selecting(clicking) main window or *any* of the three modal ones has
> no effect - the order is preserved.
> *) selecting one of the 3 modal subset windows belonging to the other
> window, *will* bring that window in front, *and* the other modals added
> to normal window's subset after it(if any - 3rd modal subset one.) will
> pop out in front. Modal subset windows added before this one, will not
> (be) move(d). Valuable for its main window, also.
>
> What do you say?

So if I got that right:
App1:
  1 main window: w1
  2 modal subset for main: s1 and s2
App2:
  1 main window: w2
(1) If s1 is active you cannot activate s2?
(2) But if you select w2 (App2) and then select s2 it becomes active?
Basically, you can force (1) indirectly by doing (2). How is that consistent?
Joe user should be allowed to decide which subset window he wants, i.e.: no
blocking between subset windows.

>> You cannot select a modal subset window as long as a modal app window is
>> blocking the whole app.
>
> Exactly.

Here I would like to add an important feature: if the user clicks on any window
(#1) that is being blocked by another window (#2) such that the blocking window
(#2) should get a flashing frame (if it has no frame it should get one) for
about 1.5 seconds in order to indicate that #2 must be closed before #1 can be
accessed.
If multiple windows are blocking that window the whole group should begin
flashing.

Bye,
Waldemar