[openbeos] Re: add-ons and drivers and problems

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:21:25 +0200

"Erik Jaesler" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Add-ons and drivers both go in current/src/add-ons.  Drivers
>specifically should go in current/src/add-ons/kernel/drivers; other

>> /current/src/kernel/drivers/audio/ac97/ich
>
>Assuming we decide to place drivers in the kernel source tree, this is
>my preferred placement.  Under the current setup, it would be
>
>/current/src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/audio/ac97/ich
>
>which is my *preferred* preferred placement. ;)

This would both be ok for me.
However, having kernel add-on and modules like filesystem
and bus managers inside current/src/add-ons/kernel/
and userland add-on like for the printer in current/src/add-ons/
it makes most sense to also put all kernel drivers into
/current/src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/ and creating nice subdirectorys
to discrimainate the various types (like net, audio, input). The compiled
files can then be put in /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin
where they belong and are expected :)

Next step would be to remove

current/src/kernel/add-ons
current/src/kernel/drivers

after migrating their content into the correct place.
We should place a reminder file like DONT_USE_THIS_DIRECTORY
into them until this is done.

Hopeing that things are more clear now.
If this is not correct, please correct me :-)

Marcus