[openbeos] Re: add-ons and drivers and problems

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 04:00:26 CEST (+0200)

> Marcus wrote:
> > The multiaudio api could provide them, but Be seems to have decided
> > to document, but not imlement them.
>
> That's a pity, but it gives us the possibility (well, okay we have
> that
> anyway) to create something better.
> Do you think the multiaudio API is the way it should be, or should we
> better create a new one from scratch? May be we should have a look at
We really need to create a new one. We can use ideas from the
multiaudio
API, but the multiaudio API itself has some strange ideas of hardware
abstraction, and also some problems with it's concept of buffering.
And finally, I don't like it very much :)

> the new Linux audio system which names currently escapes me...
Perhaps.  But currently, we don't have the resources to create a new
API for soundrivers. We can use the BeOS R5 legacy.media_addon
and multiaudio.media_addon for initial testing.
I think it is more important to finish libmedia.so and add codec
support.
I'm currently working on the first part.

But if someone is really interested in creating a new sounddriver API,
I would like him to start writing a propopsal and perhaps implementing
a proof of concept imlementation later.

The Bedrivers.com Soundblaster Audigy driver project, as well as my
Intel AC97, and most likely all other audio driver writers need a nice
API.

regards
Marcus