[openbeos] Re: add-ons and drivers and problems

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:33:23 CEST (+0200)

Marcus wrote:
> If we want to closely mirror BeOS, we must put *all* hardware
> handling drivers
> into something like /current/src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin as the
> final kernel drivers are all
> in /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin
>
> But I would prefer to put the sources of hardware driver not in
> current/src/add-ons/kernel/bin
> but create apropriate sub folders in /current/src/kernel/drivers and
> place them there. The final
> driver binaries can still be placed in  /boot/beos/system/add-ons/
> kernel/bin
>
> However, this is my personal opinion. I think the consensus is that
> we only keep one directory.
> How to organize them should be well considered.

I think that e.g. the ich97 driver should be either in:
src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/audio/ich97

or:
src/kernel/drivers/audio/ich97

I don't really mind which one we choose, though I prefer the first one
(so that the kernel directory only contains the kernel, while drivers
are located at another place).

Adios...
   Axel.