[haiku] Re: Wanted to write to my floppy drive

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:12:14 -0400

Cameron Mac Millan wrote:
On 7/11/11 10:36 PM, Sean Collins wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16821130002

There you go.

Who knew, 5 year old floppy's.

Why stop there?  Following your assertion to its logical conclusion,
there is no point in emulation of obsolete systems because they're
*gasp* obsolete.  Supporting the FAT filesystem makes no sense, because
it was replaced (eventually) by NTFS.  And, with DVD drives being so
prevalent, CD support can be tossed entirely.

Sorry, but while *you* may not have a need for floppy support, that does
not mean that floppy support is not needed.

- Cameron.

The USB flash drive kind of killed the floppy and I am more then happy to wave goodbye. I certainly don't miss them and the issues with dust, corruption, sector fialures and flat data loss. If you have something on a floppy, for god sakes put it on a more robust storage media like any type of optical disk.

 Sean