[haiku] Re: Wanted to write to my floppy drive

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:18:58 -0300

Em 12/07/2011, às 21:12, Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
> The USB flash drive kind of killed the floppy and I am more then happy to
> wave goodbye. I certainly don't miss them and the issues with dust,
> corruption, sector fialures and flat data loss. If you have something on a
> floppy, for god sakes put it on a more robust storage media like any type of
> optical disk.

The other day I found a box of old floppies, including my original
copy of Sim City 2000 for DOS (2 disks). I guess you'd be surprised to
know those are 17 years old and had no defects. There was another
disk, single-sided low density!, with Logo for DOS, which is older
still.

That was *pure* nostalgia.

Anyway.

Thing is, the older the floppy, the higher the odds that they were
made with decent quality materials ;) I concede that later floppies
were increasingly unreliable, and the latter ones were a complete
disgrace, indeed.

Of course I immediately imaged those disks, better safe than sorry! So
there is at least one case to be made for supporting them, which you
just happened to mention: to back them up to more reliable media. And
while it's true that USB keys are dirt cheap in the US, this is not
true for some parts of the world. And if we start talking about age
demographics, I can assure you that you can find seniors keeping
backup copies of their stuff on floppy drives *today*.

So... Just let them be :)

Cheers,
A.