[haiku] Re: Wanted to write to my floppy drive

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 08:22:41 +0200

Le lundi 11 juillet 2011 à 22:36 -0400, Sean Collins a écrit :
> Dustin Howett wrote:
> >

> > There is nearly always value in legacy support.
> >
> Find me a new box of floppy's to buy, and you'll have made a convincing
> argument. Most floppy's are suffering from loss of the magnetic material
> on the disc, same as what happens to old analog magnetic tape thanks to
> humidity.

This is a perfectly good enough reason you gave just by yourself.
Preservation of the digital heritage, by helping people dump their
floppy to disk image files.

> There is no point in supporting floppy drives,the discs just aren't made
> anymore that I am aware of and the failure rate is extremely high for
> floppy discs to begin with.There is no value in supporting technology
> that is just not serviceable anymore.

Exactly because it's not manufactured anymore and we still have a lot of
existing material, that it must be salvaged from falling into oblivion!

François.