[haiku] Re: VMW tools as (optional) package

  • From: Joseph Liu <froseph@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:16:30 -0800

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Vincent DUVERT <vincent.duvert@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 24 janv. 09 à 23:40, Joseph Liu a écrit :
>
>>> At a minimun, a virtualization package should support screen resizing
>>> (both
>>> "resize the host window according to resolution" and "change resolution
>>> according to host window size"), proper mouse handling, clipboard
>>> sharing,
>>> folder sharing, and file drag n'drop.
>>>

>> Since VMware has opensourced their tools[1] for linux, you don't need
>> to reverse engineer the protocol.
>
> I found these other tools :
> http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vmtools.html
> These are much simpler than the official VMWare opensource tools, and they
> can be compiled (almost) directly in Haiku !
> I tested the clipboard sharing, the pointer cursor location, and the shared
> folder. Works very well.
> Screenshot of the vmftp tool, sending a file from the Haiku desktop to a
> shared folder in Mac OS X :
> http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/2843/image2ws1.png

I wasn't necessarily advocating using open-vmware-tools- just noting
that since they've open sourced tools, reverse engineering the
protocols just involves reading source code. Their protocols have gone
through many feature updates hence it helps if we try to track the
later versions. There may be some room to reuse code- but mostly just
the lower level transport and some auxiliary libs.

Joseph