[haiku] Re: Update Haiku from Haiku

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:13:42 +0100

PulkoMandy wrote:

> Le Wed, 10 Feb 2010 21:51:50 +0100, Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx> a
> écrit:
>
>> Niels Reedijk wrote:
>>
>>> You can imagine that it is bad when the kernel detects a
>>> new driver for your hard disk and as such unloads the old
>>> one. That means havoc!
>>
>> If unloading certain kinds of drivers is going to break the system,
>> shouldn't the kernel know about that and refrain from the temptation
>> to reload such drivers?
>>

> It would then lose the magin of updating a driver without having to reboot.

I did not say all drivers, but "such" drivers. The example was the
hard disk driver, that will always result in a system crash when
unloaded.

Maybe that is the only example, though. Perhaps the kernel could just
make sure it never unloads the driver used for the boot partition?

Is there anything else that is impossible to reload? How about the video driver?

-Truls