[haiku] Re: Update Haiku from Haiku

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:20:56 +0100

PHilip RUshik <prushik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Someone told me that it was possible to update Haiku from within a
> Haiku
> installation. I have been compiling, burnin a CD, and reinstalling.
> Is there
> a better way to do that? preferably a way that doesn't waste CDs and
> doesn't
> wipe out my data?

I usually build a Haiku image (then test it in Qemu to make sure it's
not broken), and finally mount it in Haiku, rename my old /boot/system
to /boot/system_old, and copy the "system" folder of the mounted image
via Tracker. This circumvents any node monitoring issues.

After a reboot, you can then delete the system_old folder. Note, that
when you launch new applications, or use a shell, it will already try
to use the new system libraries/commands, which may or may not work, so
you shouldn't wait too long with the reboot if you don't want to run
into any problems.

Bye,
   Axel.