[haiku] Re: Update Haiku from Haiku

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:01:56 +0100

Le Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:44:53 +0100, Gregor Rosenauer <gregor.rosenauer@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

Maybe the box package manager from the TiltOS distribution (is it
Haiku certified?,-) will support such a system upgrade in the future?
Or the native package manager that's planned (box looks very
interesting btw, maybe just take that one?) ?
I'm also searching for an intelligent way to update the running system
- I thought about doing it the Linux way, setting up a separate system
and home-partition and overwriting the system partition with a newer
image...

Gregor

The package manager will probably handle it. The problem is when you overwrite files, some of them are loaded in a way that will make the system take the new file into account immediately. That can go wrong if saif file is an executable. So yes, you'd have to create a system2/ folder with the new things, and then rename as early as possible on reboot (maybe even when shutting down)

And no, TiltOS is not certified.

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx