[haiku] Re: Update Haiku from Haiku

  • From: Gregor Rosenauer <gregor.rosenauer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:40:29 +0100

PulkoMandy wrote:

> We don't even have either a console or block device driver, nor any kind of
> monitoring daemons. This kind of thing is done properly and integrated in
> the system.
Yes I know Haiku is graphics-only, and I like it that way - however
you could say that the various _servers are actually daemons and
thinks like the registrar work like monitoring daemons...

> We do have a console boot prompt, but who want to run in such a degraded
> mode ?
Just for system maintenance or upgrades, of course...

> It's just simpler to boot from a cd or usb key and run the install from
> there. Still not a perfect solution, but
> it at least keeps the 3-click way Haiku is meant to be installed.
True, this is the way I plan to do it now, with a dedicated Haiku
system partition that I can wipe with a new install from USB, and a
separate home partition. Just like in the old BeOS days (only that
BeOS was never updated so often...,-)

> We have PXE boot support. It does just that.
Wow cool did not know that, thanks for the info!
So you are saying that I could point the PXE loader to the latest
image address and be automagically up to date? (I only know some
basics about PXE but did not try it yet)

Anyway, thanks for the info - leaving the Haiku devs alone with lazy
feature requests that can be comfortably worked around would free them
up to implement really needed things like GPT support,-)

brg,
Gregor