[openbeos] Re: Organizational question

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:51:19 GMT

Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On 2004-10-21 at 17:17:04 [+0200], "Mikael Jansson (mailing lists)"
> <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Maybe, but is there 24/7 monitoring and admin? beunited.org has
> > > had
> > > outages
> > > and loss of service and data in the past.
> > >
> > Yup, that's the problem.
> >
> > Should we try to go for a managed box somewhere? That'll cost us
> > $$$.
>
> Depends on what kind of access you need. In Germany you can get
> managed
> servers for less than € 50 per month but you're screwed if you need
> "su" or
> anything "grown-up": real RDBMS, app server, etc.. You can get root
> servers
> for much less but you don't want to do that unless you have access to
> cheap
> and reliable sys-admins.

How much bandwidth do we need each month?

The tree is ~160M, if people check out compressed it'll be somewhere
around 80M, max.  How many people would check out the entire tree, per
day? 10? 50? Say, 50. That yields 4G traffic each day, times 30 = 120
GB.

Is this too little, or too much?

--
Mikael Jansson