[openbeos] Re: Organizational question

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:07:30 +0200

On 2004-10-21 at 02:12:26 [+0200], Nik Derewianka <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> You may also want to check out subversion - (subversion.tigris.org).
> CVS to svn migration is straigtforward (its billed as cvs without the PITA)

Actually it's more than that: Jim Fulton, CTO of Zope Corp., was full of
praise of what he called the "subtle differences" between subversion and CVS
at EuroPython 2004. Subversion is being used more and more within the Zope
"community" which has: several branches of the main product; numerous
additional products; a need for minimal administrative overhead.

Perforce is excellent software but also a commercial product. As I
understand Mikael, he has unlimited client licences for this product but
those developers working on other projects might find themselves either
ideologically or financially compromised if they move all their projects to
an essentially commercial system. On the other hand future distributors of
Haiku will be looking for version control that easily dovetails with their
own.... the pros and cons can be debated endlessly.

The crucial point is that any such system requires maintenance and
administration. Sourceforge currently provides these in debatable quality
for CVS for free. A replacement must provide at least equal value and I
think this excludes Mikael's undoubtedly generous offer to host Perforce on
his own computer.

The question that must be answered is:

Is there a reliable hosting service for Perforce?
Is there a reliable (and free) hosting service for svn?

Charlie