[openbeos] Re: Organizational question

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:40:41 GMT

> Perforce is excellent software but also a commercial product. As I
> understand Mikael, he has unlimited client licences for this product
> but
> those developers working on other projects might find themselves
> either
> ideologically or financially compromised if they move all their
> projects to
> an essentially commercial system. On the other hand future
> distributors of
> Haiku will be looking for version control that easily dovetails with
> their
> own.... the pros and cons can be debated endlessly.

Yes, it is correct that I have unlimited client licences, although I've
got a limit of 10 users. It's easy to obtain from Perforce, and we'll
get as many users we need.

Your point about us having to get hosting outside of SourceForge
whichever revision control system we choose to use hold true, and is
indeed something very important.  It's good that you structured the
conversation. :)

If I remember correctly, however, isn't it the case that haiku-os.org
(and beunited.org/osbos.net) already runs on a separate system, in
which case we probably could run our future revision control system
there?

--
Mikael Jansson
http://mikael.jansson.be