[openbeos] Re: "One Hour for Haiku" - Coordinating Voluntary Cash Donors

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:12:00 -0700

Howdy Czeslaw,

This is a very interesting idea, and I am sure there are many more that could benefit the Haiku project in terms of funding in the form of some sort of recurring or subscription based donations. I believe Haiku is "sexy" enough that people who want to contribute to the advancement of Haiku are not only in the small BeOS community, but also from bigger open source circles.

However, I think the key to making this sort of thing happen lies in the hands of Haiku Inc. Haiku has a great (and growing!) group of developers and a nice and faithful (and growing!) community. However, Haiku Inc. is, for some reason, notoriously absent from this picture. I am not the only one who looks up to leadership from Haiku Inc., and I personally have not seen much so far, unfortunately.

If Haiku Inc. is to justifiably label itself as the entity that supports the development of the Haiku Operating System, then it needs to be much more forthcoming and way more engaged with the project and the community in order to *proactively* cater to their needs in ways that are meaningful. There is a very willing community, but Haiku Inc. fails to lead the way and act as a facilitator, so that it is easy to make contributions to the project.

Having said that, I believe this will not happen unless some change occurs at Haiku Inc., starting with a BOD that has the will and time to take the initiative to drive the sort of *non-developmental* activities (including but not limited to funding) that would push the advancement of the Haiku project, even in ways that contributing developers could potentially benefit from.

I am sorry that I am taking this into a somewhat different direction from what you would probably have expected. But I strongly believe (and I know others do too) that the Haiku project needs more than what Haiku Inc. has been providing so far in terms of driving the growth of the project and the community. Funding is one of those areas where I think Haiku Inc. is the root cause of the problem that you are proposing to solve with your idea.

Cheers,

Koki

Czeslaw Czapla wrote:

Hello, Haiku friends.

I have a modest proposal regarding fundraising that I would like to submit for general consideration and discussion in this forum. My wish would be to see some (likely improved) variation on the proposal adopted by the Haiku project in the end and implemented on the Haiku website. I think that the potential material benefits to the project would be sufficient to warrant the investment of initial effort for the implementation.

Here is a bit of background to my proposal. Over the past couple years, ever since Haiku Inc. obtained its tax classification status as a not-for-profit corporation under US law, I have personally made a few cash donations, but only a few, perhaps three or four. I might have made many more donations than I did make if only I had *thought* of it more often. Many of us are busy with our work, our studies, our loved ones, raising children, etc., so that we fail to remember to support more faithfully the public-good efforts that are close to our hearts, like the Haiku project.

My proposal boils down to this: implement an automated email reminder service for voluntary cash donors to Haiku Inc.

The program would be called "One Hour for Haiku". The idea is that any person who wishes to volunteer to become a regular monthly cash donor to Haiku Inc. could sign up (through a link on the donations page on the website) as a member of One Hour for Haiku. By signing up with One Hour for Haiku, a person would be making a (self-monitored) pledge to make a free-will cash donation to Haiku Inc. once each month in the amount of one hour's earnings from paid employment. This figure (one hour's earnings) could be calculated from one's own actual income, or from an assessment of prevailing wages in one's industry or community, or simply from one's best guess at an affordable amount that could be donated monthly by oneself on a sustainable basis. The idea is that a donor would be pledging effectively to work one hour each month *for Haiku*, hence the name of the program. (Another way for non-coders to "work for" Haiku!)

Each month, say on the fifth day of the month, each member of One Hour for Haiku would receive an automated email from Haiku's web server. The email would be a reminder of the individual's pledge to make a monthly donation. Donations would be "due" on, say, the tenth day of the month. The email would include links to the actual donations websites (Network for Good for USA; PayPal for all others), facilitating immediate action. Perhaps the email could include some details of recent progress in the development of Haiku, or some information regarding improvements in Haiku's financial situation as a direct result of the generosity of donors like the recipient of the email. Words of encouragement and expressions of gratitude, all genuine, would be appropriate. Above all, the email should help make it quick and easy for the donor to complete his or her donation for that month.

Monthly donation amounts would never need to be disclosed to anyone by the donor member of One Hour for Haiku. That would be his or her private information exclusively. There would be no "enforcement mechanism" regarding submissions of donations; making one's own monthly contribution per one's pledge would be entirely a matter of personal conscience and honor. At the time of registration with One Hour for Haiku, a new member would need to submit his or her name (or "Anonymous"), nickname (if desired), email address (required but never publicized), and country of origin, residence, or affinity (optional). That's all.

There would be a "Current Donors" listing page on the Haiku website somewhere that would list donors' names, nicknames, and countries, ordered first by country and secondly by name. This would be one way that the Haiku project could recognize and thank donors for their support (a tiny bit of "fame"). Perhaps the listing could also include the date on which the donor signed up as a member ("Member since: 26 April 2007"). This would serve as a nice recognition of enduring commitment, and an encouragement of tenacity.

Donors would need to be reminded in the monthly email of the importance of their commitments. The actual amount of individual donations would be perhaps less important ultimately than their *regularity*. If donors meet their commitments *faithfully*, however modest the individual commitments may be, then Haiku Inc. will be assured of a steady, reliable revenue stream. The reliability of this income is the critical factor, in my opinion, permitting planning, hiring, etc. with sufficient confidence with respect to ongoing financial stability. If on a given occasion a donor cannot contribute the full amount of his or her regular monthly donation, the donor should still be encouraged to contribute some lesser amount in accordance with his or her means at the time. Without shame.

That sums up my thinking thus far. I look forward to hearing what others think of this proposal.

Best wishes to all,

Czeslaw Czapla
Unofficial Haiku Booster