[openbeos] Re: "One Hour for Haiku" - Coordinating Voluntary Cash Donors

  • From: "Donovan Schulteis" <deej575@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:35:53 -0600

Doesn't PayPal (yeah, I know, not good for international folks) do
subscription fees now, similar to what you are discussing?

Deej

On 4/26/07, Czeslaw Czapla <czapla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello, Haiku friends.

I have a modest proposal regarding fundraising that I would like to
submit for general consideration and discussion in this forum. My wish
would be to see some (likely improved) variation on the proposal adopted
by the Haiku project in the end and implemented on the Haiku website. I
think that the potential material benefits to the project would be
sufficient to warrant the investment of initial effort for the
implementation.

Here is a bit of background to my proposal. Over the past couple years,
ever since Haiku Inc. obtained its tax classification status as a
not-for-profit corporation under US law, I have personally made a few
cash donations, but only a few, perhaps three or four. I might have made
many more donations than I did make if only I had *thought* of it more
often. Many of us are busy with our work, our studies, our loved ones,
raising children, etc., so that we fail to remember to support more
faithfully the public-good efforts that are close to our hearts, like
the Haiku project.

My proposal boils down to this: implement an automated email reminder
service for voluntary cash donors to Haiku Inc.

The program would be called "One Hour for Haiku". The idea is that any
person who wishes to volunteer to become a regular monthly cash donor to
Haiku Inc. could sign up (through a link on the donations page on the
website) as a member of One Hour for Haiku. By signing up with One Hour
for Haiku, a person would be making a (self-monitored) pledge to make a
free-will cash donation to Haiku Inc. once each month in the amount of
one hour's earnings from paid employment. This figure (one hour's
earnings) could be calculated from one's own actual income, or from an
assessment of prevailing wages in one's industry or community, or simply
from one's best guess at an affordable amount that could be donated
monthly by oneself on a sustainable basis. The idea is that a donor
would be pledging effectively to work one hour each month *for Haiku*,
hence the name of the program. (Another way for non-coders to "work for"
Haiku!)

Each month, say on the fifth day of the month, each member of One Hour
for Haiku would receive an automated email from Haiku's web server. The
email would be a reminder of the individual's pledge to make a monthly
donation. Donations would be "due" on, say, the tenth day of the month.
The email would include links to the actual donations websites (Network
for Good for USA; PayPal for all others), facilitating immediate action.
Perhaps the email could include some details of recent progress in the
development of Haiku, or some information regarding improvements in
Haiku's financial situation as a direct result of the generosity of
donors like the recipient of the email. Words of encouragement and
expressions of gratitude, all genuine, would be appropriate. Above all,
the email should help make it quick and easy for the donor to complete
his or her donation for that month.

Monthly donation amounts would never need to be disclosed to anyone by
the donor member of One Hour for Haiku. That would be his or her private
information exclusively. There would be no "enforcement mechanism"
regarding submissions of donations; making one's own monthly
contribution per one's pledge would be entirely a matter of personal
conscience and honor. At the time of registration with One Hour for
Haiku, a new member would need to submit his or her name (or
"Anonymous"), nickname (if desired), email address (required but never
publicized), and country of origin, residence, or affinity (optional).
That's all.

There would be a "Current Donors" listing page on the Haiku website
somewhere that would list donors' names, nicknames, and countries,
ordered first by country and secondly by name. This would be one way
that the Haiku project could recognize and thank donors for their
support (a tiny bit of "fame"). Perhaps the listing could also include
the date on which the donor signed up as a member ("Member since: 26
April 2007"). This would serve as a nice recognition of enduring
commitment, and an encouragement of tenacity.

Donors would need to be reminded in the monthly email of the importance
of their commitments. The actual amount of individual donations would be
perhaps less important ultimately than their *regularity*. If donors
meet their commitments *faithfully*, however modest the individual
commitments may be, then Haiku Inc. will be assured of a steady,
reliable revenue stream. The reliability of this income is the critical
factor, in my opinion, permitting planning, hiring, etc. with sufficient
confidence with respect to ongoing financial stability. If on a given
occasion a donor cannot contribute the full amount of his or her regular
monthly donation, the donor should still be encouraged to contribute
some lesser amount in accordance with his or her means at the time.
Without shame.

That sums up my thinking thus far. I look forward to hearing what others
think of this proposal.

Best wishes to all,

Czeslaw Czapla
Unofficial Haiku Booster