[openbeos] Re: "One Hour for Haiku" - Coordinating Voluntary Cash Donors

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:43:23 +0200 CEST

Hi there,

I also like Czeslaw's idea, as well as the bounty stuff Karl tried to
"drag" us to - just on a smaller scale (ie. not Java but driver X, or
bug Y), and also for hardware (ie. donate to allow us buying this
hardware to be able to support it better).

"Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> However, Haiku Inc.
> is, for some reason, notoriously absent from this picture. I am not
> the
> only one who looks up to leadership from Haiku Inc., and I personally
> have not seen much so far, unfortunately.

And that's where the problem is. Most of us have little time to spend
for Haiku - and since most of us are developers, they decide that they
can best try to improve the Haiku codebase instead of caring about
other things.
Michael seems to be the only person with a pure non-dev job on Haiku
these days - but as you can easily see, his time is limited as well -
and as you can see at our performance, donations don't seem to be
interesting enough (small pun intended :-)).
What we need are people that take care of non-dev issues like these. We
need to make our financial situation more obvious, make donations more
rewarding (in terms of: where does all the money go to?, and: do they
actually appreciate that I just donored $100 to them?), etc.
There is still no financial report for 2006, for example. There is
still no bounty page whatsoever.
This is an opportunity for non-developers to get involved with the
project, and really help out. We could need someone who manages our
finances, we could need someone who gives us the occasional qualified
legal advice, we could need a Jorge 2.0 for marketing, etc.

Bye,
   Axel.