[openbeos] Re: OBOS Networking

  • From: "Bruno G. Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 10:22:57 EST (-0300)

>      I recently signed up to work on the Networking team, and I was
> asked to
> work on DHCP and PPP.  Now, from what I see on my system, dhcp is
> done by two
> programs, dhcpd and dhcp_client.  I don't know anything about how
> these
> interface with the rest of the networking environment (do they simply
> act like
> daemons, doing the dhcp work and spitting out the IP info in the std
> out??),
> and if anyone knows much about this, I'd love to hear it.  I need a
> starting
> point.

dhcpd is a server that will provide IP address to other computers. It
is not strictly necessary. dhcp_client is what actually gets an IP from
a server and assigns it to a local interface.

>      But moreover, if binary compatibility is going to be maintained
> (I've
> heard some people in the BlueEyedOS forum say it's a technical joke)
> perhaps we
> could just use these existing binary files so long as the dhcp and
> PPP
> protocols don't change in the near future.

Whoever said that has no idea about what he is talking about. The
current net_kit code *IS* binary compatible with the BeOS one.

> I mean, our time would be better spent getting other things going
> than trying to make open source
> versions of binaries that will already work.

Hmmmm? You know the BeOS net-server sucks, right? We are replacing the
net_server itself. Any binaries we are recoding is because they use low
level stuff (like ifconfig) or because we decided we could do better.
There is nothing wrong with that and the living proof is the status the
network kit is now (sure it is still buggy, but that's because no work
has been done on it in a while since we got the new kernel).

>      I dunno...but I can't start making code to interface with a DHCP
> server
> until I know how that code will interface with networking.  And I'm
> eager to
> start making actual code, instead of talking for days about cool
> feature
> requests...eh..no offense.

As I said, all the DHCP client will do is request an IP, get an answer
and assign it to an interface. just check the ifconfig code and you
will see how that works. For actually getting the IP you will have to
read the RFC that explains DHCP (I don't have the number handy right
now).

-Bruno

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be
yours too."
                -- Dave Haynie