[openbeos] Re: OBOS Networking

  • From: Clay Vincent Schentrup <cvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 19:25:17 -0500

>OTOH we need a full replacement anyway, we don't know how those two
>commands are supposed to work, and we also don't know if they will work
>with our networking stack.
>Seriously, I wouldn't rely on those apps.
     Right!  So what I need is some clearly defined structure to be decided
upon as to how DHCP and PPP will actually work with the net stack.  I don't
know how much of this has been decide already, but I'm all for ditching legacy,
and making the net stack as efficient as possible.  Now as I've said before,
and it bears repeating, I'm a decent coder, but I don't know enough about these
low-level issues to just come up with the structure.  I basically need for the
more experienced people to hand me specs and say, "Here's what this part needs
to do, here's how it interfaces with everything else.  Have at it."
     It might be more productive, if this is going to be awhile, for me to try
to work on some drivers or something.  At least then it's a "straightforward"
process of finding specs and looking at example drivers.  And of course, even
_that_ is assuming that the driver implementation will be the same in OBOS.
Will it?  Anyone with good implementation just seeking coders to fill in the
scaffolding, flag me down.  I'm hungry to start working on this bad boy.  :)

Clay