[openbeos] Re: OBOS Networking

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 05:51:46 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à Clay Vincent Schentrup <cvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello everyone,
>      I recently signed up to work on the Networking team, and I was
> asked to
> work on DHCP and PPP.  Now, from what I see on my system, dhcp is done
> by two
> programs, dhcpd and dhcp_client.  I don't know anything about how these

dhcpd (d=daemon) monitors the interface for any packet from the DHCP
server, like lease info, telling back it wants to reuse it (this resets
the lease counter in the DHCP server), for example.

dhcp_client is just a program to run dhcpd, and initiate the dialog with
the dhcp server, to allocate a lease.

IIRC.

> interface with the rest of the networking environment (do they simply
> act like
> daemons, doing the dhcp work and spitting out the IP info in the std
> out??),
> and if anyone knows much about this, I'd love to hear it.  I need a
> starting
> point.
>      But moreover, if binary compatibility is going to be maintained
> (I've
> heard some people in the BlueEyedOS forum say it's a technical joke)
> perhaps we
> could just use these existing binary files so long as the dhcp and PPP
>
> protocols don't change in the near future.  I mean, our time would be
> better
> spent getting other things going than trying to make open source
> versions of
> binaries that will already work.
>      I dunno...but I can't start making code to interface with a DHCP
> server
> until I know how that code will interface with networking.  And I'm
> eager to
> start making actual code, instead of talking for days about cool feature
>
> requests...eh..no offense.

Actually I'm not sure those will be compatible with our stack...
and anyway the goal is to code a replacement for BeOS, that is for
*all* BeOS, even those fie that still run (or else what's the purpose of the
project ? :))

You may want to read the code of Linux and *BSD implementations to see
what's all about. Code is better than paper :)

François.