[openbeos] Re: OBOS Networking

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 19:55:16 CEST (+0200)

Clay wrote:
>      I hate to sound utterly dense here, but my question is still,
> how does it
> interface with the net stack?  I can easily read the exact protocol
> for talking
> to the DHCP server and getting an IP.  My question is what to "do"
> with it,
> where to pass it off...what reads it..something like that.
>      Further, if we are changing networking to be more technically
> sophisticated, I don't know that it even makes sense to have a binary
> called
> "dhcp_client".  Maybe the code for doing this work ought to be in
> some other
> program, so that whatever parts of networking that are 'talking' to
> "dhcp_client" can do it within the same app.  I think it would be
> helpful for
> me, and many of us, to have a clearly laid out structure for OBOS
> networking.
> I still don't feel like that's been decided or discussed...and when
> you talk
> about reading ifconfig code..are you saying that OBOS is going to use
> ifconfig?
> eth0?  Unix-style networking standards?  Hmmmm....

First of all, the right forum to address this would be the network ML -
 not the main list.
Second, AFAIK the only description/specs of the OBOS networking stack
are in David's head - and I doubt that he wants to write them down.
So we might have to "reengineer" the architecture ourselves. Anyway, I
think it's similar to BONE, but what do I know? :)

Adios...
   Axel.