[haiku] Re: New website theme

  • From: "Brian Verre" <bverre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 10:16:14 -0500

>> Some comments still:
>> -You put a glowing white border around the page. This is fine for
>> pages with white backgroud, but looks strange on the homepage where
>> the background is quite dark
>>
>Yeah, that is bothering me too. It is supposed to be a very subtle
>shadow, but it is coming out as a glow. I am going to try to simply get
>rid of the it and see how it looks.

I've just read through the last couple days of the list, and I have to say this
last revision of the theme looks incredible.

I personally think the dark background looks very sharp, and fits with the
overall theme. That glow is kind of unique, and I think adds to the overall
look. It's nice, and I would like to see it stay, myself.

Where you say "Install Haiku: From: Image Files | Source To: " and then provide
options, it wasn't clear to me whether that was a "how to" section or what.
Maybe say: "How To Install Haiku" or "Installing Haiku..." in the first line.
In the "From:" section I would change "Image files" to "Binaries" or
"Precompiled Binaries"...

The download "button" looks ok, but the main text I think should be
proportional to the arrow size. I would leave off the "Raw Images and VM
images", and just say "Download Haiku Now!" or something short so it can be
large. I personally like the slightly rounded look like the user login section,
but its trivial.

Found a good example of text /arrow proportion:
http://download-mozilla.heguys.com/download_button.jpg
<http://download-mozilla.heguys.com/download_button.jpg>

Anyways, excellent work, I like the theme. Glad to hear about the upcoming
alpha release. Consider suggesting users click the torrent download link for
the ISO, as when you get slashdotted a lot of us will be happy to reduce the
http/ftp download links costs/load with our torrent peering. I hope a lot of
traffic is coming your way when you announce!

Regards,
Brian