[openbeos] Re: MIPS32 port for GSoC

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:30:53 +0100 CET

"Matt white" <mattwhi@xxxxxxxxx> top-posted ;]
> I think Haikod would be more fun and interesting than a router OS.
> Linux has that kind of thing covered. why go into a niche market
> that is flooded?

I'm not targetting the Routerboard because of its multiport
daughtercard. I simply think it's the best MIPS hardware to start with.
It's affordable, it's supported by Linux, it's got a serial port for
debugging, it's a 32-bit, little-endian processor, like x86, which
sidesteps some issues. It's a fully documented system-on-chip that can
boot off compact flash, plus it's small, efficient and perfectly quiet.

Additionally I would like to see Haiku run on big-endian and 64-bit
MIPS, but I've got to start somewhere.

> whereas the iPod has a slim choice of alternate OS's that have
> sketchy
> support at best. we could turn the iPod into a low cost multimedia
> PDA. now
> that is a cool idea.

I too would love to see a HaiPod or HaiPhone running a slimmed down
HaiTunes, and that is exactly why Haiku needs to be ready for hardware
that is actually used in handhelds, set top boxes, broadband routers,
HDTV recorders, etc.

One might argue for other devices and architectures, like the GP2X game
pad based on ARM9. That's probably fun and more of an instant reward
once it works, since it's got a screen, but I've  set my sights on
mostly headless MIPS hardware like the Routerboards, the Cobalts Qubes
and the (AMD, now RMI) Alchemy series.

/Jonas Sundström.