[openbeos] Re: MIPS32 port for GSoC

  • From: "Nathan Sylvain" <optikwhite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:05:24 -0700

http://embedded.hug-nordic.org/?pic=haiku_embedded_320x240_running_apps.png

The only problem that I have with this mock-up is that the typical desktop
paradigm doesn't always translate well one the tiny screens of most PDAs.  I
know I am probably setting myself up for lynching here but I am intrigued by
what Apple appears to have done with OS X in their translation of it from
Desktop to palmtop.  Only time will tell how well it will work out, but
while I don't mind navigating through trees of menus on my desktop, I would
have to be burdened with such things on anything less than an ultra-portable
notebook.

But it is nice to dream, however I have to say that I would rather see a
stripped down version of Haiku with all of the media components intact and
optimized to juice the most performance out of a 1st gen xbox or even the
PS3.  I could even see something like Gamix(http://www.gamix.org/) working
for Haiku, but first I would like to see all of the current bugs, problems
and missing pieces taken care of before anything else is tackled.  Then
again, it is Google's money and if the main developers don't mind, I don't
see how porting Haiku to MIPS32 or anything else would hurt.

But it would be nice to have Haiku running problem-free on the desktop
before seeing it branch off into other areas.