[openbeos] Re: MIPS32 port for GSoC

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:59:04 +0100 CET

"Niklas Nisbeth" <noisetonepause@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Another interesting hardware would be the EFIKA
> (http://www.genesippc.com/efika.php),

Or one of these:
http://www.powerdeveloper.org/8641d.php
http://www.powerdeveloper.org/tetrapower.php
(I suppose the power requirements don't quite fit the embedded niche..)

But I'd rather have resources spent on the Playstation3,
which is available, fascinating and potentially very powerful,
and also not that expensive if you can truly use its full potential.

> Also, there's the iLiad "book reader" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILiad),
> > which has WiFi and wired LAN, 64M RAM, 224M internal flash storage,
> and
> a 400MHz XScale processor... It's a tad on the expensive side (>500
> euro), and I'm not sure you can get the documentation you'd need + it
> only has a greyscale screen (but it's an 'electronic paper' screen,
> which is very, very interesting in that it doesn't need a backlight).

Is it open to hacking, and documented?

Can Haiku provide a better e-booking experience?

> I'd welcome anything that moved Haiku closer to running
> on my SGI O2, though...

How do the O2s compare in watts, heat and noise?
Do you have it on your desk or on the floor?

/Jonas.