[openbeos] Re: MIPS32 port for GSoC

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:57:48 +0100 CET

> > I'd welcome anything that moved Haiku closer to running on my SGI
> > O2,
> > though...
>
> Yeah, I think we need a focus shift toward HaikuIA. That always works
> out well. :)

Well, at the time Be did it it was too early.
We only start to see real-life handhelds around.
Even though tabletPCs weren't really a success (but maybe because the
OS wasn't suitable), there are many more form factors that are really
used. PDAs sell less, but we see PDA-shaped smartphones instead. ultra-
laptops are more usable. The Nokia n800 is more a niche stuff though.
That changes from the kitchen computer that was bigger than a laptop
and too slow to do video.
Set-top-boxes are gone, but intelligent DSL modems now have a GUI to
show on the TV, even if only to preset records. (bénie soit la Freebox
:)

So as I said, not it's no more "embedded" stuff, but real mobile
desktop.
Then it's not really a focus shift anymore.

#include <ForwardLookingStatement.h>

François.