[openbeos] Re: ISO-9660 BFS filesystem extension

  • From: "Jonathan Tarbox" <jtarbox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:44:26 -0600

    Yes, I do understand the difference between the /dev device of the disc
and the file system that is on it.

    If you read my last post I did mention that the UDF file system access
and the dvd decoding via a bit stream are both possible, just two different
points of view.  I just know how it was done via the bitstream and when I
asked 'what about the file system, don't we need a file system driver', the
engineer replied "nope.. the dvd is read directly as a bitstream, no need
for a file system driver"  Whether or not the UDF file system is part of
that, encompasses that, or is a seperate entity that points to a bitstream
on the DVD.. I don't know. (obviously it does point/wrap/encompass the data
somehow as the vob files are the a/v streams)   I didn't have the time to
read through the 3-4 MPEG standards manuals.  I just know the entire
decoding process (not just the movie, the menu and options as well) is done
as a bitstream.

example, I copied the first 100 MB of a DVD to a file via the dd command,
the dvd decoder I was using (beta/experimental/no longer available to me)
could play it just fine..   at least till it hit the 100MB mark.  Now try to
do the same with a BFS partition.. dd the first 100 MB of the partition to a
file and try to mount and use it, no go.  It's not designed to work like
that.  DVDs are.  What's my point?  UDF, or more correctly put.. a UDF file
system driver, is not needed to play a DVD.

end of soapbox, no more replies from me on this.

-jtarbox