[openbeos] Re: ISO-9660 BFS filesystem extension

  • From: "Jonathan Tarbox" <jtarbox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 19:56:28 -0600

> > uhm.. just curious, why not support the iso9660 and udf filesystems
> > as they
> > are, and just use bfs on a CD if you want attributes on it..  it
> > works, if
> > the 2048 block size is selected.  adding to the other formats would
> > be a
> > cludge
>
> I don't know if you are aware of it, but last time I checked, there are
> a few other opering systems out there.
> And I probably want to be able to read all of my data CDs on those
> systems. But I probably also want to use what BeOS has to offer when
> I'm using it (currently full time).

exactly.. you made my point.. there are several operating systems out there,
in fact I use over 6 different ones a day.  Can you explain to me the
usefullness of BeOS-only attributes on a CD on a non-BeOS system?  The
iso9660 format can hold files viewable on most (if not all) operating
systems, joliet format (as crappy of a hack as it is) can handle long file
names.. BeOS attributes, as awesome as they are, would be near useless on a
CD meant for many operating systems.

An example.. hmm... a disk full of MP3's?  Ok, under a BeOS attribute-able
file system we can make em really nicely done up with the attributes..  but
those attributes are not used on other operating systems.  MP3's have the
ability to store all the song data in the MP3 file as an ID3 tag...

So.. what else is left, attribute searches?   limited use.. nothing worth
spending the time modifying the iso9660 driver..

udf..  well, the file system may be better then iso9660 (as is fat16, but
that's a personal opinion).. but most DVD decoders don't even use it.  a DVD
usually is read as a raw bit stream from the device.  it's quite interesting
reading, don't member the full details, but I'm not even sure what udf on a
dvd is used for.. prolly optional stuff.. /shrug

hehe on an experimental dvd decoder I saw someone do a 'dd' image of the
dvd, ftp it to a network server, download the image to another machine and
play it from the file.. reading it in as a bit stream.. was quite
interesting.. esp since I saw him change the source from the /dev path to
the dvd drive to the exact path of the image file..

-jtarbox