[openbeos] Re: ISO-9660 BFS filesystem extension

  • From: "john 'soco' robinson" <soco@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 03:27:54 +0100

> that's a personal opinion).. but most DVD decoders don't even use it.  a
DVD
> usually is read as a raw bit stream from the device.  it's quite
interesting
> reading, don't member the full details, but I'm not even sure what udf on
> dvd is used for.. prolly optional stuff.. /shrug

not true. it's required of all DVD players to read basic UDF.
it's part of the standard.

you can check out section 6.9 of the UDF2.00 specs (it's probably
a different number in other versions)

"DVD-ROM discs shall be mastered with the UDF file system"
"DVD-Video players expect media in UDF 1.02 format."
"A DVD player shall only support UDF and not ISO 9660."

more importantly on this discussion...

"Note: The disc may also include the ISO 9660 file system. If the disc
contains both UDF and ISO 9660 file systems it shall be known as a UDF
Bridge disc. This UDF Bridge disc will allow playing DVD-ROM media in
computers which may only support ISO 9660. As UDF computer implementations
are provided, the need for ISO 9660 will disappear, and future discs should
contain only UDF."

-soco