[openbeos] Re: ISO-9660 BFS filesystem extension

  • From: "john 'soco' robinson" <soco@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 04:11:05 +0100

> Well.. whether or not UDF is used on the disc, the DVD decoding is done as
> bit stream.. I have seen the source code, read a little of the official
> standards book (wow, two pages worth of it and I got a headache)  Just
going
> by what I saw..  Terminator running with overlay support within BeOS

sure all media encoding is done as a stream. however, you have to know where
find the stream. that's why UDF is important. on nearly all videos you don't
have just
one stream, you have multiple files and multiple streams for different
things. in order,
to properly play DVD's you have to support UDF to access the stream. know
where
it starts and such. the DVD standard encompasses much more than the mpeg2
stream.
it specifies silly things like finding files in the VIDEO_TS directory and
knowing what
files to open first and when to open other files and such. it's really quite
important to
playing a DVD video correctly.

apologies if i came across as an ass. just trying to point out why UDF is
important :)

-soco