[haiku] Re: Haiku at the Ohio Linuxfest this weekend

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:30:09 -0400

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Kit <kervas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2011/9/16 Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>

>> I've seen both positive and negative support so far at the Linux
>> conferences.  This year it was 100% positive, and I didn't get any
>> remarks about, "Wait, you're not Linux, so what are you doing here?!"

> Hello Joseph,
>
> I'm glad your experience was so positive. I myself admit my experience has
> been sweet and sour at Linux events.

What events have you been to?  Just wondering so those of us that go
can brace for the "sour" experiences.  ;)  I know it's likely not that
black/white of an answer, but figured I'd ask.

> About the flyers you give out, did you make them yourself, or are you using
> some ready-made ones?
> The closest I know of a ready-made one, is one designed by Jorge Mare (koki)
> over a year ago.
> [ www.haiku-os.org/artwork ]

Yeah, I used the ones done by Jorge in 2010 and they look really
great.  Haiku, Inc. tends to have some professionally made copies on
hand, so I asked to have some sent to me well in advance so I could
have them for OLF.

We should probably make an updated version of the artwork for 2011
(seeing as it's licensed CC BY-NC-SA) showing something like Sintel
instead of Big Buck Bunny in MediaPlayer.  Our trend seems to be to
make our flier show off the latest Blender Foundation film.  :)

> The design is pretty neat, but it looks best in color, which is a tad more
> expensive to print out in person.
> Do you use any alternative flyers?

Nope, not really, although in a bind I'll print out the aforementioned
flier on my black/white printer and just accept the fact that it will
eat up a lot of black ink.  Maybe we should consider making a
"printer-friendly" version of the flier as well in the future that has
a white background and adjusts the other elements of the graphic
accordingly.