[haiku] Re: Haiku on a stick with a bigger partition than 700MB

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:08:42 -0400

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Robert Stiehler
<r.stiehler85@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I already have Haiku on my Workstation on it's own partition and use it as
> my main OS. I just want it for my Notebook :D

Okay, I understand.  You should be fine then making a special build
profile just for the notebook in the UserBuildConfig and setting the
image size accordingly.

For instance, in your UserBuildConfig (it's easiest to start with
editing the UserBuildConfig.sample), at the top make something like
DefineBuildProfile notebook-usb : anyboot-image ;

Make the corresponding case statement called "notebook-usb", making
sure to add whatever features you want, and then when you have that
saved, you can just run `jam -q @notebook-usb' from the terminal and
have it make the image for you.  Then just dd that into place on the
drive (likely something like /dev/sdb if you're using Linux), and you
are set.

You can try having the build system write directly to the drive as
well in order to fully utilize the USB drive, but in my experience
this fails often.  Again, it could have everything to do with the
speed of my USB drive though.  If you do know the location of your USB
drive, you could make a "disk" build profile for the USB drive in your
UserBuildConfig and have it write out to that drive.  Keep in mind
that you would want to write out to something like /dev/sdb , not
/dev/sdb1 , as you want to write on the entire drive.

Also, make sure you know the location of the USB drive for certain if
you are going to try this, as writing to a wrong drive or partition
accidentally can really ruin your day!  It seems you already know how
to put the image on a USB drive directly, so this will likely never be
a problem for you.

Hope this helps!

- joe